Experiences in Biotechnology Academy
An Immersive Summer Program for High School Students
The Experiences in Biotechnology course is designed to introduce early high school students (15 – 17 yrs. old) and students with limited exposure to the sciences to the concepts and applications of Biotechnology. Through a coordinated integration of lectures, discussions and hands-on activities students can learn about how the science of Biotechnology developed over the last several decades. Using hands-on experiments students will demonstrate some of the basic concepts of Biotechnology and how these concepts are being applied in many disciplines today. Students will extract genomic DNA, use Biotechnology to examine toxicity of common substances, examine the role of Biotechnology in healthcare and the food industry along with other applications. This introduction will afford the student with a basic understanding of the Biotechnology field today and provide a view of future applications of Biotechnology.
How You Will Benefit
- Understand how to present and explain scientific concepts
- Practice applying scientific concepts through hands-on experiments
- Visit an institute, company, or research laboratory in Washington, D.C.
- Gain experience working in a lab setting and using a variety of biotechnological tools
- Engage with renowned faculty and industry experts